Angelique Kidjo: I'm a native of Oyo state in Nigeria.



Angelique Kidjo, a multiple Grammy Award winner, claimed that her mother told her that she is a Nigerian and hails from the town of Iseyin in the Oyo State.

In a recent interview with Smooth FM in Lagos State, Kidjo, 61, disclosed.

Although she was born in the Benin Republic, the singer cited her mother's assertion that she has several relatives in Nigeria, despite the fact that she rarely travels there.

Angelique Kidjo: I'm a native of Oyo state in Nigeria.




"My mother informed me that I am from Iseyin since they discovered their roots there when my grandfather's great great great great father returned from Brazil.

Our family has always been from Nigeria, coming from my mother's side. Therefore, we have families in Abeokuta, Ibadan, Lagos, and everywhere else. I also have distant cousins.

Our family has always been from Nigeria, coming from my mother's side. Therefore, we have kinfolk in Abeokuta, Ibadan, Lagos, and everywhere else. I also miss my distant cousins a much, she remarked.


She claimed that in addition to singing about the beauty of the continent, she also wanted to convey the joy that Africans radiate.


Angelique Kidjo: I'm a native of Oyo state in Nigeria.





Simply said, I enjoy singing. I adore introducing people to Africa. The people are quite happy to see and talk about the beauty of Africa, not the music.



She said, "Africa is not about that since I grew up in an impoverished nation, yet people were really happy.


Kidjo declared that she wants the world to recognize the strength of African women.


"African women are the heart and soul of our continent, and they are also stunning. I want everyone to know it, Kidjo said.


Comments